Based in London, UK
DescriptionLife of Pixel is an epic platform adventure game, with amazing gameplay, fun characters, beautiful 8 & 16-bit aesthetics and a lot of heart. A retro delicacy dedicated to the brilliance of classic gaming machines and ground-breaking game favourites. You play as Pixel, the inquisitive little green hero on a quest to explore where pixels began life. Follow his journey through video game history by collecting the bit-gems and unlocking each amazing game machine. Collect the 'Specials' and unlock more! Armed with awesome power-ups, Pixel must vanquish the enemy pixels and bosses who try to thwart him throughout his quest. With over 100 fun packed levels of platforming goodness! Chock-full of tricks & traps, double jump challenges, gravity inversion, special power-ups, puzzles and loads of different enemies.
HistoryLife of Pixel is a unique game. The first time ever such a broad range of gaming history and game platforms have been brought together in one game! Paying tribute to not just one classic 8-bit machine, but a whole museum full of them!
- Take a journey with the wizened Professor Pixel and revisit the golden age of gaming. Featuring a massive variety of beautiful pixel art from classic 8 & 16-bit game systems, such as Amiga, SNES, Mega Drive, Commodore 64, Apple II, Game Boy, NES, Atari 2600, ZX Spectrum & Master System!
- Look out for nudges to console classics like Mega Man, Castlevania, Zelda, Streets of Rage, Shinobi, Metroid, Wonder Boy, Pitfall, Sonic and more. Revisit computer legends such as Turrican, Uridium, Jet Set Willy, James Pond, Rick Dangerous, Prince of Persia, Impossible Mission, Exile and lots more.
- Dozens of special secrets to uncover and experience. From silly little touches through to great big mega-epic secrets! Look out for jetpacks, bubbles to fly, trampolines, hidden rooms and maps, aeroplanes, skateboards and even a Sinclair C5!
- Special power-ups and equipment with levels featuring puzzles and secrets only accessible using Pixel's new found abilities. Fire pixel from a cannon, reach high areas by bouncing on a trampoline, use the Super Potion to defeat enemies, smash the baddies with the mine cart, deploy the Bomb to destroy walls and uncover hidden secrets!
- Compete online against other players from all over the world to earn the best level completion times!
- We've worked with amazing chip musicians such as Eric Shumaker, Gavin Harrison, Rob Lynch, Ashton Morris and others to create a fantastic chip music soundtrack for the game - and not forgetting the sound effects too! All audio created with either the original hardware or VST based emulation.
Life of Pixel Trailer YouTube
Awards & Recognition
- "gaming-age.com" 91% (A-)
- "pspminis.com" 9 out of 10
- "Retro Gamer magazine" 82%
- "1 Bit Vault" 8.1 out of 10
- "Punk and Lizard" 8 out of 10
- "Super Icon have totally nailed it. Everything from the sound to the graphics is spot on. Life of Pixel is brilliantly clever."
- punk and lizard,
- "Life of Pixel is a likeable precision platformer with a fantastic visual style."
- "Need a new game for your PS Vita? I recommend the awesome Life Of Pixel."
- RetroGamer Magazine,
- "For a couple of quid it’s a bit of a steal."
- "Really loving LIFE OF PIXEL (aka semi SUPERMEATBOY for VITA)! Playing the Atari 2600 levels is like stepping back in time!!:)"
- David Jaffe - Video Game Designer/Director,
Super Icon is a London based independent multi-platform game development & digital publishing studio who strive to create intelligent playful Games. Games people enjoy playing - original unique ideas with cool gameplay and a positive user experience. Owned and operated by Claire and Richard Hill-Whittall, the team has developed and released over 30 games for a number of platforms including PSVita, PSP, PS2, Wii, iOS, KindleFire, Android, Mac and PC.
More information on Super Icon is available here.
Life of Pixel Credits
Business & Development, Super Icon
Head of Development, Super Icon
Head of Programming, Super Icon
Content ©2014 Super Icon Ltd. All Rights Reserved.